A little history in the center of Rome: Colosseum, Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain
« As long as live the Colosseum, Rome also exists and when the Colosseum falls, Rome will fall and when Rome falls, the world will fall. "(Prophecy of the Venerable Bede, the eighth century). The Colosseum, one of the seven wonders of the world, also known as the Flavian Amphitheatre. It is located in the center of Rome, may contain up to 50,000 spectators, the largest amphitheater in Rome that the most impressive monuments of this beautiful city. It was built under Emperor Vespasian in 72 ADand was inaugurated by Titus in 80 A. D.
The name "Colosseum" is derived from the statue located near the "Colossus of the Sun God." Was used for gladiator shows and public events such as shows of hunting, re-enactments of famous battles, and dramas on classical mythology. Piazza di Spagna is one of the most famous squares of Rome.the name comes from the palace of Spain, seat of the state dello'ambasciata Spanish Embassy to the Holy See. In the square are the fountain of "Barcaccia", dates back to the early Baroque, Bernini and his son. Nearby are: the home of romantic poet John Keats, now a museum dedicated to his poetic life. Babington's tearoom founded in 1893. The side of Via Frattina are the property of the Holy See, designed by Bernini and Borromini, the column of the Immaculate Conception.
While the staircase, designed by Alessandro Mirrors, was inaugurated by Pope Benedict XIII in 1725 and the Jubilee Venen built to connect the Spanish Embassy to the church Trinita dei Monti.
Trevi Fountain is the largest fountain in Rome, considered one of the most famous fountains in the world. The fountain dates back to the eighteenth century, was designed by Nicola Salvi, has a mix of baroque and classicism. Its history is linked to the construction of the Virgin, during the era of Emperor Augustus when Agrippa made the water come to the Pantheon and its thermal baths. The Pantheon was built in the history of ancient Rome as a temple dedicated to the gods of Olympus. After the fires, 80 and 110 A. D. had damaged the building dating back to Augustus, the emperor Hadrian rebuilt between 118 and 128 AD in the seventh century, the Pantheon was converted into a Christian church under the name of Santa Maria larger columns. Can not miss also called Castel Sant 'Angelo mausoleum of Hadrian. It was started by Emperor Hadrian in 125 AD and was finished by Antonio Pio in 139 A. D.
It was built in front of the Campus Martius who was joined by a bridge called Bridge, Elio. It housed the remains of Emperor Hadrian and his wife, and the wife of the emperor Pius Antonio with his children, but also by Lucio Elio Cesare, and sons Marcus Aurelius, Septimius Severus and the wife and children emperors Geta and Caracalla. The name of the Castel S. Angelo was given in 590 following a mystical event, where the Pope Gregory I had a vision of the Archangel Michael.